Thursday, March 1, 2012

52 in 52 Week 10, and my 10 week recap

Edit: So, apparently I can't count. Good thing [most] students come to first grade knowing how to count to 10, right? lol It's only been 9 weeks so far (I skipped 3), so this is now a 9 week recap, not 10. I'll keep everything else in the post the same though. I'm too lazy to go back and correct it. Enjoy!

I thought it'd be a good idea to have a 52 in 52 recap at each 10 week mark. So, here are the scriptures from the first 10 weeks (including this week). There will actually be 12 scriptures since I started early, but that's alright. You'll forgive me though, right?

I'd love to say that I could rattle off the scriptures week by week without needing a reference to remind me which scripture comes next. Or, I wish I could even just tell you all of the references without needing reminders of which scriptures I memorized. However, to do this recap, I brought in my flashcards that I've made over the weeks (these usually stay in my bathroom since I do most of my studying while I blow dry my hair each morning lol), and I just flipped through them to catch the scripture reference for each week. Everything else was done by memory though. :)

52 in 52 Recap:

Week -1 (sinceI started a couple weeks before New Years): Romans 12:1-2 - I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to present yourselves as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God. This is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is, His good, pleasing, and perfect will.

Week 0: Isaiah 9:6 - For to us a Child is born, to us a Son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Week 1: 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 - So if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you do not fall. No temptation has taken you but what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Week 2: Ecclesiastes 3:11 - He has made everything beautiful in its time, and He has also set eternity in the hearts of man, yet they cannot fathom what He has done from beginning to end.

Week 4: Proverbs 30:5-6 - Every word of God is flawless, He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words, or He will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Week 5: Romans 15:4 - Everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the scriptures, we might have hope.

Week 6: Psalm 96:4-6 - For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise. He is to be feared above all gods, for all the gods of the nations are idols, [here's my favorite part!!!] but the Lord made the heavens! Splendor and majesty are before Him, strength and glory are in His sanctuary.

Week 7: 1 Corinthians 10:23-24 - Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible, but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good but the good of others.

Week 8: Galatians 2:20 - For I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live [exist], but Christ lives [exists] in me. The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Week 9: 2 Corinthians 10:5 - We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ.

And this week's verse:

Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
1 Peter 1:8-9

Do you sometimes struggle with the fact that God isn't tangible? Of course, many of His blessings are very tangible: a new job, new babies, a loving family... but sometimes I just want to give Him a hug. Be held in His arms. Smell His aftershave. Surely that's what He smells like, right? I remember being a little girl and smelling my daddy's aftershave (or was it his shaving cream? Whatever he smelled like, I liked it!). Such a sweet, comforting, and secure feeling.

Okay, so maybe God doesn't smell like aftershave. But He does smell of gorgeous sunrises, stars twinkling in the sky, and sweet little baby cries. His "scent" is everywhere. And although I can't touch Him now,  and I can't be held by Him, I do have this outrageous joy knowing that someday I will! His outstanding love for me gives me such hope in where my future lies. Knowing that He loves me even though I've sinned and done stupid things, this gives me a reason to smile and be happy.


So, it's been 10 weeks so far. I must say that I'm pretty proud that I've stuck with it this long. I've never been that great at keeping resolutions, but I've been determined with this one. 

I have 42 weeks left in my 52 in 52. You could totally start now and do 42 in 42. What do you say?




1350

No comments:

Post a Comment